The 41st Telluride Film Festival – Summary of Day 4
The 41st Telluride Film Festival – Summary of Day 4 (9/01/14)
- Clarity of Peace is a collection of three short documentaries by Errol Morris. During the Q & A session Mr. Morris explained that these films came about when Visa asked him to interview Nobel Peace Prize winners for a series of commercials to be aired during the World Cup. He told them that he would do them if he could also use the opportunity to interview the Nobel Laureates for his own films. They agreed.
- The Dream is with Leymah Gbowee, the Liberian woman who was instrumental in the formation of a woman’s peace movement in Liberia in 2002. This peace movement led to the end of civil war and eventually to the ouster and arrest of President Charles Taylor.
- The Shipyard is with Lech Walesa the co-founder of the Polish trade union Solidarity. His work in the 1970s and 1980s led to a reestablishment of free parliamentary elections and some say to the eventual demise of the Soviet Union.
- The Moment is with Bob Geldof the founder of Band Aid and Live Aid concerts for the relief of hunger in Africa.
- The Imitation Game is Morten Tyldum’s film about the mathematician Alan Turning and Allies efforts to break the secret Nazi Enigma code during World War II. The film is a gripping dramatic film, especially so, because we do know the end of the story. It is not a spoiler to say that the allies did break the code and that was a key element in shortening the war.
- A healthy measure of the reason the drama and tension in the film is due to an incredible and sometimes heart-breaking performance by Benedict Cumberbatch as Alan Turning. We see Turing as the complex, brilliant and sad genius who designed the first computer, but had difficulty telling joke. Cumberbatch could see a Best Actor Oscar in the near future
This was the end of our 2014 TFF experience. It was incredible. We saw 10 films and met more than a dozen incredible, interesting, famous and engaging people. We hope to come back the festival soon.
In the mean time I will be preparing full length reviews of the four films that impressed us the most. These reviews will be posted on this site just before their US release dates.
- Birdman – To be released on October 17th
- The Homesman – To be released on November 7th
- Foxcatcher – To be released on November 14th
- The Imitation Game – To be Released on November 21st